While most homeowners understand the dangers of fire and smoke inhalation, fewer understand the dangers of Carbon Monoxide aka “the silent killer.” Here is what you need to know to help keep you and your family safe:
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon Monoxide; often written as “CO”, is a byproduct of incomplete combustion by carbon- containing materials. This can occur in ANY fuel burning device. For example, furnaces, hot water heaters, stoves, and vehicles all have the potential to create CO. Carbon Monoxide is colorless, tasteless, and odorless making it almost undetectable to humans, hints the name “silent killer.”
Why is Carbon Monoxide Dangerous?
Exposure to CO can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, confusion, and loss of consciousness. Now many of these symptoms can seem very similar to flu like symptoms the difference is someone who is experiencing CO poisoning will not develop an increase in temperature. Unresolved leaks can lead to brain damage and even death.
How do CO Detector’s Work?
Carbon Monoxide alarms work by monitoring airborne concentration levels of CO over time. When harmful levels become present, an alarm will go off. Due to CO being harmful in both low concentrations over long period of times and high bursts in short period of times, the detectors are designed to track both concentrations.
Where should the CO Detectors be installed?
Very similar to fire and smoke detectors they also need to be strategically placed. These detectors must be located near all sleeping areas of the home, and not the source of the potential leak. This is so when people are sleeping they will be able to clearly hear if the alarm should go off.
While smoke can be easily smelled and seen, carbon monoxide can exist for a long period of time before it is noticed. This is why we stress the importance of having CO Detectors installed within your home.
If you do not have CO detectors or CO detectors over 10 years old in your home- Call the Professionals at Proline Electric TODAY!
Tags: carbon monoxide, Certified Electrician, Edmonton, edmonton electrical, Electrical, electrical contractors edmonton, electrical services, electrician edmonton, home safety