Old man winter can test and put us through some harsh winters with; freezing rain, sleet, snow blizzards and extreme cold winters. In fact; this week (Jan.13-17,2020) Edmonton, Alberta will not only the coldest place in Canada, but in the world! These type of weather conditions can affect your home by damaging power lines and equipment, which often results in power outages.
According to a poll in 2015 by the Red Cross, 41% of Canadians have experienced a loss of electricity for more then 72 hours. It can quickly make your home inhabitable without heating, lighting, and hot water. Your Heat and Hot water rely on your electrical system- without electricity you lose power to the furnace and hot water tank.
Here are a few tips to help you be prepared:
- Know your risks
- Make a plan- Come up with a Family plan so that if an outage happens everyone is ready
- Get a Kit- put together preparedness kit.
- Have a list of emergency contacts, Proline Electric, Epcor, Fortis etc. Your location matters.
- Check whether the power outage is only in your home, or if the neighbors are also affected. If the neighbor’s power is still on, Check your main panel breakers. Assure you have emergency contact numbers nearby such as Proline’s .
- If your neighbor’s power is out also, contact Fortis or Epcor- depends on your location.
- Turn off all your appliances and electronic equipment, and turn your heating thermostats down to a minimum to prevent damage from a power surge when your power is restored.
- Turn off all your lights, except one inside and one outside. So that you know when the power has been restored.
- Don’t open your freezer or fridge unless absolutely necessary. A full freezer can keep food frozen for 24-36 hours if doors remain closed.
- Never ever use charcoal or gas bbq’s, camping equipment, or home generators inside because they give off Carbon Monoxide.
- Use proper candle holders, and never leave candles unattended.
- Check on any vulnerable neighbors such as; elderly, ill or disabled to assure they are safe.
These are just to help keep you safe during a winter power outage. As always; in the event you are without power, heat, or warm water the experts at Proline Electric are here to help get you back up and running as quickly as possible.
Tags: Certified Electrician, electrical services, power outages, winter